[Gmecm] Back to square one

Robin Handley Robin
Tue May 16 08:14:07 UTC 2006

> At 06:54 PM 5/15/2006 +0100, you wrote:
> >This got me wondering; why did GM build in the ability to switch between
1
> >BAR and 2 BAR MAP sensors in $58 when they didn't actually produce a
vehicle
> >which used it? :-)

> They were bored?
> According to the doc, that $58 code supports 3,4,6 & 8 cylinders too.
> MV

True, but the $58 code is actually used in 4 & 6cyl modes - and the
#cylinders logic seems common to all GM code - but not the MAP range
selection logic, AFAIK. Maybe GM started with a NA code/calibration and
tweaked from there? I wouldn't normally speculate, except that a non-turbo
$58 P4 calibration would be pretty useful to me... :-)