[Gmecm] Back to square one

Mike V efi
Tue May 16 11:40:52 UTC 2006

At 09:14 AM 5/16/2006 +0100, you wrote:
> > At 06:54 PM 5/15/2006 +0100, you wrote:
> > >This got me wondering; why did GM build in the ability to switch between
>1
> > >BAR and 2 BAR MAP sensors in $58 when they didn't actually produce a
>vehicle
> > >which used it? :-)

> > They were bored?
> > According to the doc, that $58 code supports 3,4,6 & 8 cylinders too.
> > MV
>
>True, but the $58 code is actually used in 4 & 6cyl modes - and the
>#cylinders logic seems common to all GM code - but not the MAP range
>selection logic, AFAIK. Maybe GM started with a NA code/calibration and
>tweaked from there? I wouldn't normally speculate, except that a non-turbo
>$58 P4 calibration would be pretty useful to me... :-)

What's stopping you from running the 2-BAR code?
Sure, you'll lose some resolution, but a "turbo build"
will always be <<whisper voice>> softly calling your name...  8-)
A few years back I was playing with the TurbGranPrix
  Code in a naturally aspirated 3.1 just to remove obstacles
that were preventing me from fabbing a turbo system.
I would just swap chip & MAP sensor and go for a drive
while recording ALDL output.  It ran very well with the
resulting lower resolution.(half the baro range).
The TGP code is similar to $58 in terms of features, but
supports the DIS of the 60deg V6 and isn't quite as hacked.
Getting back on point.  I think you should not get hung up
on the 1 bar option. Plug in a 2 bar sensor and try it.
I forgot to ask what size injector you plan to run.
MV.