[Gmecm] Welding vs. computers

bcroe at juno.com bcroe
Mon Nov 13 00:04:33 UTC 2006

I second that.  Completely disconnect delicate electronics
before welding.  A car isn't one mass of metal.  Many parts
are isolated by rubber,etc.  So things like ground straps and
exhaust pipes may be taking big currents, which aren't so
predictable.  Not only the resistance is a factor, but the arcing
weld current will respond to inductance in the circuit.  If the
original ground system isn't in perfect condition, currents have
been known to find their way through things like shift cables.

Do tie your welding ground to the piece of metal being
welded, reasonably close to the weld.  If there are 2 pieces,
tie them electrically together.

Bruce Roe