[Gmecm] In-line fuel pumps with TBI

Charles McDowell charles
Mon Nov 20 16:07:30 UTC 2006

The filter is about half air.  It's about 1.5 inches in diameter, so I don't
know if it's realistic to expect it to be solid with gas.

If I pull the line at the filter input, gas will pour out continuously from
siphoning, so the lines seem clear.  I guess they could be partially kinked,
but I sure don't think so.

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf
Of Tom Mandera
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 9:51 AM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] In-line fuel pumps with TBI

Charles McDowell wrote:
> Right now I just have a generic plastic purolator filter.  What kind
> of coarse filter are you talking about?
>
> I guess I wasn't considering that there was any considerable
> restriction in the filter.  The thing about the filter though, is that
> it's kind of big and always has air in it, which might cause trouble for a
non-self priming pump.

I've always used the inline filter before the pump as a poor man's surge
tank / to help hold fuel near the pump so I wouldn't have to manually prime
it.  The pump pumps the fuel in the filter first, and that causes a vacuum
siphoning from the tank..

How much air is in your filter?  You didn't pinch the fuel line to the tank,
or put in a plugged up fuel pickup, did you? ;)

-Tom