[Gmecm] erratic 3.8L Cam sensor alarms

Andrew Gibson andrewsharyn
Mon Oct 9 15:58:40 UTC 2006

The cam sensor magnet is replaceable seperate from the timing set. It is a dealer part, fails more than the sensors do, and is very inexpensive. I have replaced many and always pulled the cover and replaced the chain as well due to the high failure rate of the nylon coated gears. The magnet comes in through the back side but I have heard of guys punching the old one out, leaving it in the motor, grinding the reatiner off the back of the new one, and JB welding the magnet in the old cam gear, all through the sensor hole. I've never done this as it's kind of risky for falling out and damaging something.

  Good luck with it!