[Gmecm] Modify $8D to work on MPFI 3.1L DIS engine

Robin Handley Robin
Sat Sep 2 10:46:41 UTC 2006

> On Friday 01 September 2006 04:31, Robin Handley wrote:
> >
> > I hadn't thought about the cranking situation, but I'm now wondering how
> > DIS based ignition system can actually get an engine to start (when the
> > 'static' advance is so far away from something you'd want to use for
> > cranking). Does the DIS module do something clever here, that I'm
missing?

> Nope, when cranked (when the ECM is *not* controlling the timing), the DIS
> module just fires the coils at the crank mark timing (the static timing,
> typically of 0deg), and only the signal it gives back to the ECM has 60deg
> offset.

Sorry if I'm being dim here; when the ECM is not controlling the timing,
does the DIS module fire at every pulse from the trigger wheel? How does a 6
x 60deg trigger wheel work for a 4cyl engine?

Thanks,

Robin