[Gmecm] Re: What, really, is a 'mask'?

William Lucke william.lucke
Mon Sep 4 13:05:35 UTC 2006

> From: "Robin Handley" <Robin at FuryWorld.fsnet.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Gmecm] Re: Gmecm Digest, Vol 19,	Issue 3 - What really
> 	is a 'mask'?
>
>> Because each version of Code may put critical tables in different
>> locations in the .bin, you need a different mask for each different
>> code, and thus the term mask has come to be synonymous with the specific
>> program used.
>
> This is the bit which does not marry completely with my previous
> understanding, and I realise that my original description was amibiguous in
> this respect, but I think clear and concise otherwise.
>
> So, in an attempt to be absolutely clear, is it true that, for a given code
> 'mask':
>
> - The algorithms in the executable code are identical for all instantiations
> (and, in fact, all executable code, aside from lookup vectors, is
> identical).

As was said, maybe or maybe not. FUNCTIONALLY, the program should be the
same for all instances of a particular program ID.

> - The calibration (lookup) data values will (obviously) vary between
> applications to cope with different engine configurations etc. etc.
> - The size and scaling etc. of all the calibration (lookup) data are
> identical for all instantiations.

These two coincide with my understanding.

> - The vector memory location of any given element (scalar/array/table) of
> calibration data may vary between instantiations.

The memory locations of each piece of data should remain constant for a
given program... after all, that is what lets us write definition files
for a specific program ID.

As for the program ID being a calculated and not assigned value and
multiple programs with the same ID possible... I don't know... I'll
leave that to the experts.

Will