[Gmecm] The forum lives...

Andrew Huxtable ahuxtable
Wed Sep 13 23:19:59 UTC 2006

Mark,
	I find it interesting that you think that there are too many
categories for the new forum.  I mean, I agree to a point, yes, there are a
few but I think that in general 90% of the posts will either be in 'General
GMECM discussion', 'Tuning', or 'Getting started'

I'm going to start some polls on the site soon to try and get some idea of
what people think of the current layout and will make changes accordingly.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf
Of Mark Mansur
Sent: Tuesday, 12 September 2006 12:15 PM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] The forum lives...

********************BEGIN TRANSMISSION********************

in a forum. For example...)

>If we could filter out the MSN-speak chaff, we'd really have something!

Can that be done in this email format? Let's see:

=) lol. ROTFL.

I guess not. Perhaps that means we don't have something now? It's really up
to the poster (or sender of the email) to refrain from these kinds of
things.

For what it's worth (or "FWIW"), I think a forum format has solid merit. A
forum that most closely follows the mailing list "feel" is one that has as
few categories as possible (does an email list have categories?), is as
simple as possible, and offers email subscription to threads. The forum in
its current incarnation has far too many categories. I personally prefer a
forum over a mailing list, so I'm very happy to see the experimentation that

is currently happening around this. I'm a member here because there's no
other way to get the (wonderful) information available via this list; the
archive is laughable, IMO (IMO = "In my opinion" for the non-mavens of
"MSN-speak" among us).

That's just my $2.50.

Oh, and, Steve - any chance we could have the archive asterisk-replace
portions of our email addresses? The <email alias> "at" <domain.tld> format
as it uses currently is pretty easily parsed by spam bots these days via the

major search engines. I already have enough spam in my inbox, which,
ironically, is another reason I prefer forums.

-M

PS - this is light-heartedly written