[Gmecm] IAC / AIS Setup - $8D/7730

Clair Davis clair.davis
Thu Apr 5 03:37:10 UTC 2007

I'm still sorting out the tuning of my slightly-hotter cam that I described
previously in the "Adjusting 7730/$8D for larger cam" thread, and I came
across an issue setting up the IAC / AIS motor that I thought I'd ask about.
This is from the user manual for an Accel DFI system, but it applies here, I
think.  They basically suggest setting up the IAC so that it contributes
very little, if anything, to the base idle speed.   Say you want a 750-rpm
idle, set the throttle plate opening to achieve 700-rpm or so at operating
temp, and let the IAC give you the last 50.  That's not how I remember the
GM procedure, which (as I recall) is to disable the IAC and shoot for the
lowest idle figure that can be sustained - maybe even 4-500 rpm.  That's
essentially how I have mine set up now, but it seems to make sense to set
the idle higher if possible and just let the IAC do the fine tuning.

Is one method preferable over the other?  I guess as long as the idle speed
is specified in the code, it doesn't really matter, except from the range of
motion the IAC sees.  Comments?

Thanks in advance,

Clair
69 Valiant '730