[Gmecm] IAC / AIS Setup - $8D/7730 )

Jay Vessels jay
Fri Apr 6 13:44:48 UTC 2007

Hi there!

If you're setting minimum air (throttle stop screw) so it idles at 700
RPM, then that should be less than the minimum idle speed in the cal.
One accepted way to set minimum air (once the idle speed is set properly
in the cal) is to adjust minimum air so you get about 2-3 IAC counts at
hot idle. The GM procedure usually gets you to about 30 IAC counts, but
some think moving as much air through the throttle body as possible (in
TBI apps, anyway) is the better choice. .

You want the IAC to have a bit of headroom, though, so if your cal's
idle speed is under 700 RPM, and you're setting minimum air higher than
that, the ECM is no longer controlling the idle speed.  Not good.

If you're getting stalls and you've got the VSS connected, then you may
not have minimum air adjusted properly, or you've got some tuning to do.
  Assuming the low RPM timing/fuel is right (i.e. the fueling at low RPM
isn't going to just drive it to a stall), either the IAC doesn't have
enough headroom (you need more IAC counts at idle) or you need to get
more aggressive with the IAC tuning.  Unless you have a lumpy cam, I'd
guess the IAC constants are fine.

The sky-high idle after a stall is apparent in the TBI code ('747, '429,
etc.).  I don't remember if it's in $A1 or not, since it's been a while
since I drove a 5-speed $A1 car.  The most annoying thing in $A1 for me
was shift-assist which to me looked too much like a throttle hang.  I
managed to tune most of it out, but I never got it 100% like I wanted it.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 (TBI pending)