[Gmecm] BCC lookup

J M galaxiecustom500
Sun Aug 19 04:12:08 UTC 2007

Yes, sort of.

I haven't paid much attention to these engines since
the late 90's, and I mainly looked at the rear wheel
drive applications (camaro, firebird, s-10).

The rear drive engines had cast iron heads, front
wheel drive engines had the aluminum heads.  The cast
iron and aluminum heads will physically interchange on
the blocks.  The issue is they have different intake
ports.  So if you want to put aluminum heads onto a
2.8L camaro you would also need the intake, valve
covers etc..

The other issue is putting those aluminum front wheel
drive heads on a rear wheel drive 2.8 long block also
results in something like 14:1-15:1 compression ratio.
 I did the math too many years ago to remember
exactly.

On a side note, I still have the original 2.8L from a
87 camaro I used to have, and 3 cylinder heads, 1
complete intake and a second intake top from 3.1L
cavaliers I pulled out of a repair shops trash ~1999.
Had the idea of throwing together some sort of dune
buggy vehicle from spare caprice parts and throwing a
set of aluminum heads on that 2.8 then run it on vp100
race gas.  Although E85 is readily avialable now, so
that would be a more attractive fuel.  I highly doubt
the stock lower end would hold together but sure would
be fun to find out how long it would hold together.