[Gmecm] BCC lookup

Jay Vessels jay
Sun Aug 19 13:17:23 UTC 2007

Hi there!

JM is spot-on.

You can put the GenII ('87-'93 or '94 2.8V6 and 3.1V6 depending on car
line) top end on a block that originally had iron heads.   Due to a
different intake port configuration, your only choice for an intake is
the matching GenII lower intake manifold for MPFI.  The carb. and TBI
intakes won't fit.

While the chambers on the GenII heads are smaller than the iron heads,
the GenII engines' pistons will fit, and there are matching pistons for
the 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4 iron-head blocks, since all three were available
as GenII or GenIII configurations.

The good news is that the MPFI intake can be turned around 180 degrees
so the throttle body faces the front of the vehicle.  So, if you're
going to use the GenII heads on a RWD application (i.e. S-10) you'll
need to convert it to MPFI (i.e. 1227730 + $A1).  These engines were
also DIS, so your choices are to either use the DIS hardware, or if your
block/crank is not so equipped, do some machining on the intake to get a
distributor to clear.

GenIII (3x00) heads are much better for flow, and have the same issues
-- again, TBI and carb. intakes don't fit.

There are a bunch of little detail bits that have to be worked through
(i.e. sensor locations, throttle cables, etc.) but it's all possible if
you have the patience.  Most of this work has been documented on the
V6/60 boards ( http://60degreev6.com/ ).

None of this applies to the 3.4DOHC engine, which while it's a V6/60
like the others, so much was changed to drive the overhead cams that
retrofitting the DOHC heads onto a different block is practically not a
choice.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 (TBI