[Gmecm] Tracker TBI Problems overcome!

Rick McLeod dunvegan
Fri Feb 9 00:07:40 UTC 2007

these questions are kinda my point, steve put it well:

 I'm not sure the problem is completely solved yet so
I'm still curious.

so, having one to compare would be a great start, and IIRC isn't the tracker a Suzuki in disguise in that vintage, for those not knowing the engine well?

If it's a dizzy based, and the timing pickup were off a crank sensor somehow, that would wreak havoc to no end if the sensor is reading flux off the damper and it slipped. not only timing but relation to rotor position would be affected also, but sounds like if you can adjust timing it is a dizzy pickup, so unless something is wierd in the dizzy then possibly the indicators are broken and functionally if you add the proper offset for the bad timing indicator that explains it.

Bottom line, if it's a mechanical issue in the timing reference to the ignition and broken, then the problem will return and probably sooner than you desire.

good luck, interesting thread, and appreciate hte continued feedback!

----- Original Message ----
From: Terminal Crazy <Terminal_Crazy at sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk>
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Sent: Thursday, February 8, 2007 5:26:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] Tracker TBI Problems overcome!

On 08 Feb, Rick McLeod <dunvegan at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> So, I rechecked the timing.  It says it's about 26deg BTDC!  Supposed to
> be around 8deg.  I even tried a second timing gun!  Apparently the
> timing mark no longer represents TDC.  I can't imagine how that would
> be...

I don't know TBI models but how are they timed ?.

Are the hubs fixed with a key like Gen1 Chevy motors or just bolted on like
the Gen2's appear to be?

Could the hub have slipped or the rubber part between the hub/damper ?

Thoughts anyone !

Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6          terminal_crazy at sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
Lancashire England          http://www.sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk/terminal_crazy/