[Gmecm] RE: Tracker TBI problems

Eck, Joel GCC ISS Engineer Joel.Eck
Mon Feb 12 14:51:18 UTC 2007

My personal experience with #5 - 90 civic with 1500 or 1600 engine - cam
off 1 tooth either direction still ran pretty well. One direction, it
became a bunch torquier (I know, not a real word) but had some ping
problems; the other direction, it idled a little rough, but otherwise
ran pretty good. It depends  on how many teeth the cam gear has, as that
will translate to how many degrees off the cam will be if it is off by
one tooth.

In regards to #8 - True enough, that would not have caused the timing to
shift all on its own, but it would have caused the timing to be set
incorrectly in the past, say, before the problem was known. If the outer
ring of the balancer is shifting each and every time the engine is run,
then you can never get an accurate reading, because it will always be
off by some unknown value. May be worth your while to just tear into it
and check it out. If nothing else, it can then be eliminated as a
contributing factor.

It's been while since the problem was first mentioned, but was the
timing adjusted before the faulty TBI gaskets were discovered? Perhaps
the timing was fine previously, and then adjusted to what appeared to be
good. The problem didn't go away, bad gaskets were replaced, but then
the incorrect timing lived on beyond the original cause of the problem??
Just a thought..

Thanks,
Joel