[Gmecm] Re: Gmecm Digest, Vol 24, Issue 11

Cowen captain_krill
Mon Feb 12 23:11:41 UTC 2007

> It's been while since the problem was first
> mentioned, but was the
> timing adjusted before the faulty TBI gaskets were
> discovered? Perhaps
> the timing was fine previously, and then adjusted to
> what appeared to be
> good. The problem didn't go away, bad gaskets were
> replaced, but then
> the incorrect timing lived on beyond the original
> cause of the problem??
> Just a thought..

Joel,
Thanks for the info about the Civic.  Makes me think
the belt is more and more likely to be a culprit.  WHY
it would have jumped a tooth, after 3.5 years of happy
operation, would be the new mystery.  Even if the
timing belt has jumped though, the timing thing is
another matter!

Yes, the timing WAS adjusted before the gaskets.  I
replaced a weeping O-ring on the distributor adapter
sometime last summer.  That would have required
retiming an otherwise fine engine.

Unfortunately, I don't keep a logbook, and if the
problem with driveability started exactly when I
retimed it in the summer, I failed to notice!

I know I have checked the timing a long time ago and
it was fine, so whatever this problem is, it's
definitely less than 6 years old (we've had the car
that long).

Tonight I will compare readings with another identical
Tracker.  I will also check both to see that the
timing changes when the check connector is shorted,
and when the RPMS increase.  I'll post the results.

Thanks everyone!

Duncan