[Gmecm] Re: Tracker TBI Ignition mystery

Andrew Gibson andrewsharyn
Fri Feb 16 00:22:53 UTC 2007

Here's a thought: Since ignition timing is in reference to the crankshaft position it cannot be the timing belt being off a tooth (or two).

  Here's another thought: I have seen many harmonic dampners with the rubber ring on them spin the outer ring thereby giving a false timing reading. It may be worth checking the indexing of the dampner. You can do this by pulling the #1 spark plug out, dropping a long screwdriver down the hole (I said LONG mind you) and rotate the engine by hand (ONLY BY HAND!!!!!) until the cylinder tops out as evidenced by the screwdriver movement. This should give you a pretty good indication as to where the timing mark is.

  Here's a scary thought: If the harmonic dampner bolt was left loose the crank gear can roll the woodruff key over and wipe out the crank. I really hope you don't have this problem. But it's possible.