[Gmecm] Re: Tracker TBI problem solved!

Cowen captain_krill
Wed Jan 10 00:33:07 UTC 2007

> I'm betting, a Wide Band OX sensor monitor would
> have showed this lean condition immediately.  Can't
> have too many gauges.
>
> Bruce Roe

Actually, I don't know if it had an internal vacuum
leak or simply a plugged port or two.  The section of
the gasket "most" dissolved only partially covers a
trough in the throttle body.  It made such a mess
coming off, I had trouble with forensic detective work
on the failure!

Either way, as another poster guessed, it was running
rich (failing emissions with off the scale CO) anytime
the throttle was increased.  After only a moment of
constant throttle, the emissions trace cleaned up, so
I guess it was properly in closed loop and
compensating.

You're right about having lots of guages though!

By the way, as part of my research into what the
problem might have been, I came across the story of
leaking electrolytic capacitors from Rubycon Electric
in Taiwan destroying Mitsubishi-built ECMs (in some
Honda, Dodge, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki cars).  I changed
all three caps (one had just started to leak) for $3,
and I still have enough for 4 more ECMs! If you have a
Mitsubishi-built ECM (or TV, or VCR, or motherboard),
consider checking yours for leaks before traces are
wrecked.

ECM Photos I found here:

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,22273.0.html

Duncan