[Gmecm] Re: Tracker TBI problem solved!

Doug Chase doug
Wed Jan 10 03:06:10 UTC 2007

Although I wasn't part of helping solve this problem I want to tell you
thanks for posting the resolution to the list.  It helps us all learn.

Doug Chase
www.chaserace.com
425-269-5636

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf
Of Cowen
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 4:33 PM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: [Gmecm] Re: Tracker TBI problem solved!

> I'm betting, a Wide Band OX sensor monitor would have showed this lean
> condition immediately.  Can't have too many gauges.
>
> Bruce Roe

Actually, I don't know if it had an internal vacuum leak or simply a plugged
port or two.  The section of the gasket "most" dissolved only partially
covers a trough in the throttle body.  It made such a mess coming off, I had
trouble with forensic detective work on the failure!

Either way, as another poster guessed, it was running rich (failing
emissions with off the scale CO) anytime the throttle was increased.  After
only a moment of constant throttle, the emissions trace cleaned up, so I
guess it was properly in closed loop and compensating.

You're right about having lots of guages though!

By the way, as part of my research into what the problem might have been, I
came across the story of leaking electrolytic capacitors from Rubycon
Electric in Taiwan destroying Mitsubishi-built ECMs (in some Honda, Dodge,
Mitsubishi, and Suzuki cars).  I changed all three caps (one had just
started to leak) for $3, and I still have enough for 4 more ECMs! If you
have a Mitsubishi-built ECM (or TV, or VCR, or motherboard), consider
checking yours for leaks before traces are wrecked.

ECM Photos I found here:

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,22273.0.html

Duncan