[Gmecm] SBC TBI intake to 86 and earlier ???

Beau Blankenship ne14roxcj
Wed Jan 10 16:01:11 UTC 2007

Another option (that would look good and perform better) would be an
aftermarket manifold from Edel, or Hly. You would have to have the intake
off to drill the holes anyway, so why not just stick a new intake on there
that was designed to fit right. Is it worth the extra cash? How much is your
time worth when you have to chase a vacuum leak or change the intake gaskets
because your "modified" intake is giving you problems.

As for the heads, I would try to get some of the EFI heads from 87&up. 80-86
was a big "smog control era". The smog heads weren't good for much. I use
mine for mock-ups. The castings were too thin in the bowl areas for any
porting (as if that would help any), and on the "deck" for re-surfacing.
Most performance engine builders will warn you away from those "smog"
castings. The EFI heads were good for drivability, and can be lightly ported
to improve flow a little bit. For high RPM power, look to the older stuff.
Muscle car heads. Double-humps, etc. There is a great book by David Vizard
about selecting and modifying SBC heads. It's one of the PowerPro Series
books. Pick up a copy of that, a die-grinder, some burr-bits, and some
polishing stones, and make a weekend of it. Best to do this with some heads
that already need a rebuild, since they will when you get done.

Beau