[Gmecm] SBC TBI intake to 86 and earlier ???

jryan at caminofx.org jryan
Wed Jan 10 13:36:11 UTC 2007

Redrilling the holes works, but it's ugly.  Without making special
washers, you can't get much clamping force on the four center bolts
(next to the carburetor/TBI mounting pad).  I drilled a TBI manifold
to fit an '84 305, but I wouldn't do it again.  When I got a 350, I
got an '87-later-style block and a new TBI manifold and bolted it on.

The bolt angle was changed to make it easier to put a wrench on those
bolt heads.  It makes a huge difference.

TBI high-swirl heads are meant for high fuel economy and low-end
torque.  I have them, and I am getting 20 mpg from a 350 in a 3500-lb.
car that is not very streamlined.  Mine is a daily driver, though, so
low-end torque and fuel economy are more important to me than top-end
performance.

For what it's worth, I get the same gas mileage from a 350 with TBI
high-swirl heads and 9.2:1 static compression as I did from a worn out
305 with 8.6:1 compression.  Same car, same transmission and rear
axle, same ECM, only the engine and PROM changed.