[Gmecm] Chevy 350 Carburated to TBI / TPI?

Jay Vessels jay
Thu Jan 11 12:28:01 UTC 2007

Hi there!

> I was wondering if the TBI systems used on the '87+ Truck 350s were fuel
> only, or did they control timing as well?

They controlled the timing as well, through the distributor ignition module.

> On the GM 151 4cyls I've had experience with they used a computer
> controlled timing curve (basically the same idea as a vacuum advance,
> I.E. the computer has NO idea where the timing is in relation to the
> crankshaft)

The ECM doesn't have absolute position of the crank, but it does have
relative position in that it trusts that the distributor is set at a
particular static timing position, and it adjusts from that.  Since it
is not doing individual cylinder timing adjustments and is not doing
sequential fuel injector firing it does not need to know exactly where
the crank is.

   I also know of other types of engines using complete timing
> control where the use of a crankshaft positioning sensor / knock sensor
> is used...

Many GM DIS systems don't provide crank position to the ECM.  The
ignition module has that data but doesn't pass it on since the ECM
doesn't need it.

> Also, for an O2 sensor, do you need one for each "side" of the engine?
> (Where as my previous knowledge is I4 and I6's, I only have one exhaust
> manifold! =D )

For this system (older TBI) there is only one sensor.

> Also these systems are all OBDI, because to my knowledge OBDII didn't
> start up until 1996?  (Dunno where I got that year from, but for some
> reason it comes to mind, lol.)

Right on both counts.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 (TBI pending)