[Gmecm] Chevy 350 Carburated to TBI / TPI?

Jason M. galaxiecustom500
Sat Jan 13 23:03:07 UTC 2007

Just throwing in my experience with a low number rear gear and 700r4.

The vehicle is a 1982 caprice, 1973 oldsmobile 350 4bbl, edelbrock performer
intake, 450 cfm holley (aftermarket replacement for mid 60's ford galaxie),
1984 700r4 from a trans am, 2.56:1 limited slip rear from '86 caprice.  Body
has been converted to 2 door el camino style vehicle with 4'' chopped top.
it weighs approx. 4200 pounds, frame behind the rear axle was replaced with
2x4'' 1/4'' thick steel tubing.

The torque converter is activated with a manual switch, and is deactivated
with the brake light switch when the brakes are applied, and with the
internal 3/4 shift switch that disengages the TCC during 3-4 and 4-3 shifts
(it's stock in most 700r4's

In operation I usually leave the TCC switch on all the time after the engine
warms up to ~150-160F.  Driving around town it can be in 3rd with the torque
converter locked by 20mph and still accelerate.  Soonest overdrive will
engage is 35mph.  So at 25mph engine rpm is about 900, at 35 mph engine rpm
is about 800, idle rpm is 500 in and out of gear.  So I drive around town in
over drive with the TCC locked all day.

Usually city fuel mileage is between 18-20, highway is usually between
20-24.  Have seen 26mpg a few times.

1/4 mile times: 15.91sec 88.5mph.  that was with a slipping 2-4 band.  Right
after Christmas a new band a "corvette" servo was installed.  Would expect
something like a 15.8x time 89-90mph.

Anyways if your engine is making a lot of low end torque 2.40 rear gears
won't be a big deal.  I would say change it over as soon as possible.
Getting that T350 out of my car was the best thing I've ever done to it, or
maybe it was the camaro bucket seats so I didn't have to duck my head down
with that 4'' chop.

Jason.