[Gmecm] Chevy 350 Carburated to TBI / TPI?

Jake Tucker jktucker
Sun Jan 14 05:26:28 UTC 2007

Bob,
	Well, I believe that your '69 corvette intake will work with an
adaptor to the TBI throttle body.  The vast majority of all carburetors
that I know of are either spread bore or square bore, and Holley makes
adaptors for both.  In a previous post, somebody mentioned that the
thermoquad carter carburetors were spread bore.  The ones I was familiar
with were AFB's, which were square bore.  If the secondaries are larger
than the primaries, then you have a spread bore manifold.  I do know of
a Rochester carb used in a '65 impala motor that was not spread bore,
but I don't believe it matched the holley square bore pattern either.
Now, if for some reason your manifold is not either square bore or
spread bore, then you can still have a machinist make an adapter.  It's
not going to be cheap, but all you need is an aluminum plate made out of
3/4" stock, with the correct bolt pattern on either side.  A machinist
should be able to measure a throttle body and your manifold to make a
custom adapter.
	As far as a recipe book goes for how to make the conversion, I
haven't seen one that really covered it.  Most articles I've seen about
it suggest using a painless harness or some other aftermarket harness.
That is definitely the easiest way to do it, and since it supports their
advertisers it makes a lot of sense.  I bought the TPI swap book several
years ago, but it really didn't have a lot of useful information in it.
I learned most of what I needed by doing searches on the internet.
	If you have specific questions, I'll answer them when I can
help.  I have done several injection conversions, including a TBI, TPI,
and two Vortec conversions, and have hit several pitfalls along the way.
I've also installed a couple of Holley Pro-jection systems early on, and
found them to be very disappointing.  Careful planning can make the swap
go very smoothly.  The other key is to try to get all components from
the same vehicle to avoid any mismatched parts.
    Good luck on your project.