[Gmecm] Tracker TBI Problems still

Ford, Pat Pat.Ford
Thu Jan 25 14:32:34 UTC 2007

It sounds like you have swaped just about everything but the wiring
harness. In the FSM there is resistance checks you can do from the ECM
end. I'd try that next.
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On
Behalf Of Cowen
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:00 PM
To: Gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: [Gmecm] Tracker TBI Problems still

Well, it failed AirCare again yesterday.  I am getting the CO a little
lower, but it's still high.  It's allowed about 12.5 g/km, but it's
reading about 14.25 g/km.  All other emissions tested are good.

My mom has the identical car (even color!), and it passed AirCare on Dec
19th no problem.  So, I've got a source of known good parts!  Here's
what I've done:

-Cleaned/tested EGR
-Cleaned EGR vacuum modulator, then swapped it -Cleaned/tested PCV
-Cleaned IAT and ECT sensors to ensure connectivity -Cleaned and greased
all engine grounds (4) -Disassembled and Cleaned Throttle body, blew out
all passages w air, new gaskets -Set valve lash -Confirmed good, even
compression -Tried to inspect injector spray pattern w strobe, pod
obstructs view, but no large drops - seems to be a mist -Checked Fuel
return line - clear of obstruction -Compared Fuel Press Reg with mom's -
couldn't make either do anything, so at least they're the same.
-Checked purge canister - not flooded w gas -Checked all vacuum hoses -
no leaks, no obstructions -New plugs, gapped to 0.028"
-Checked base timing.  Strange, I shorted the check connector as per the
VECI, but couldn't affect the timing.  Have I lost ECM control of
timing?  How??
-Swapped cap, wires, rotor, and distributor -Swapped coil and ignitor
-Swapped TPS -Swapped O2 -Swapped MAP and MAP line w filter -Confirmed
MAP port on manifold is clean -Replaced suspect capacitors in ECM
-Swapped ECMs, although I didn't actually run it through an AirCare test
with swapped ECM, because it didn't feel like it ran any different with
Mom's.

Symptoms: Beginning quite abruptly in late August, abysmal mileage,
hesistation/light missing on light acceleration.  Oh, and has failed
Aircare for the same reason 3 times since Nov 25th!

Strangely enough, I did a ton of work in one day, including redoing the
TB, and it ran PERFECTLY for about a week!

It runs well otherwise, uses little oil, and has plenty of power.  What
am I missing??  Why does it run so rich?

Thanks for any suggestions!