[Gmecm] One wire oxygen sensor to four wire

Jon Dods jdods
Tue Jun 5 23:42:35 UTC 2007

I've been patiently waiting for a reply top this topic as I'm also looking
to change from a one wire to a 4 wire sensor.

I was hoping for somebody with some real life experience in this area might
contribute some information however, in lieu of that, I will post what I
have learnt on this subject so far.

Based on my research, I believe this would be ok provided the sensor was
replaced with the same general type.  Since the most commonly used sensor is
a zirconium dioxide sensor I'm going to assume that's the one used in this
instance.  These come in a number of varieties and sizes. Obviously, you
need to choose one, which is the correct size for your bung.  Beyond that,
my belief is that the only difference is the wattage and/or voltage of the
heating element.  This is where I get a little lost as I've read that the
heating element in some sensors must be current controlled by the ECU while
others can be just hooked up to 12V.   Perhaps someone with more knowledge
on this subject can clarify this..

The zirconium dioxide sensor should produce an average of 450 mV (0.45V)
output if the engine is running at 14.7:1 air/fuel mixture and the sensor is
at operating temperature.  The key word there is average, as the output
should actually fluctuate from around 225mV to 675mV in cycles taking about
1 second to complete a full cycle.

Regards,

Jon.