[Gmecm] One wire oxygen sensor to four wire

Jay Vessels jay
Wed Jun 6 00:54:33 UTC 2007

Hi there!

I've used 3-wire sensors (AFS-74) to replace 1-wire before; the 4-wire
has a sensor ground as well as a heater ground.  I see no reason why an
AC 4-wire NB sensor won't work in place of a 1 or 3 wire one.

The heater on a NB isn't ECM-controlled.  You could devise all sorts of
schemes to drive the heater, but powering it any time the key is in On n
or Run is sufficient (Start as well, if you like, though it's not likely
to matter much).  If you want to minimize the heater "on" time when the
engine is not running, you could power it via relay triggered by the
fuel pump circuit.

A wideband sensor, now that's a completely different beast...

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 (TBI pending)