[Gmecm] One wire oxygen sensor to four wire

David Allen davida1
Wed Jun 6 02:03:43 UTC 2007

  Here is some Real-World experience.  Converting from a 1-wire (non-heated
with sensor signal grounded through the exhaust manifold) to a 4-wire
(heated with isolated sensor ground) works very well if you are having
grounding or heat issues.
  My car has 1228746 ECM, which had a 1-wire sensor in the manifold in its
original car.  My car doesn't have a hole in the manifold for a sensor so I
welded in a bung in the exhaust pipe where te 2 manifolds wye together. Like
this; the grounding conditions and thermal environment weren't very well
suited to the 1-wire sensor.  Using a 4-wire unit keeps the sensor online
even at idle, and the isolated ground cleans up the signal.
  The signal wire follows the original path to the ECM.  The Signal Ground
wire, is grounded at the lug where all the ECM sensor grounds are bolted.
  The heater is controlled with the fuel pump circuit (only active when
engine running).  One wire is grounded to the engine block, the other is
powered (through its own fuse) from the fuel pump relay.
  AutoZone part # 15702 Bosch 4-wire sensor is what I used. It's a standard
switching-type (narrow-band) sensor which produces a signal identical to the
1-wire sensors.
  Hope this helps!
David