[Gmecm] Re: Undignified death of a project :P

Mike Wilson mwilson
Thu Sep 6 15:22:02 UTC 2007

A couple different GM cars I have owned have had oil level sensors in the
oil pan that light up an idiot light when you run low. It should be pretty
simple to tie that light into a buzzer.

95 Formula Firebird, 93 Olds 88 & 95 Buick Park Ave all had the lights. The
Formula even had a low coolant level sensor and light system. I know it
wasn't tied into the PCM because they are problematic and about $65 to
replace so the common fix is to disconnect them. The PCM never knows. It
should be pretty easy to put the setup into another vehicle since it is
independent of the PCM.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf
Of Rick McLeod
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 8:24 PM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] Re: Undignified death of a project :P

Ya know what, Honda small engines (and various others) goof proofed their
product with a simple addition of a low oil shutdown that I'm sure was
driven by the need to reduce waranty claims by those that ignore
maintenance. Maybe we as a hobyist community need to develop a similar
system, maybe one that gets extremely obnoxious (I'd hate to have it die in
the middle of an intersection) in the event of such problems, it would give
a lot of peace of mind when we need to loan the prized steed to a family or
friend.

Any one think of a reason not to create such a feature?