[Gmecm] OT - My 1972 Chevy Nova - almost dead... :(

Aaron aaron
Sat Jul 23 21:39:44 UTC 2011

Ouch !
And Ouch !
So what's this guy saying?
It's always good to vent, so let it all out.
(Even if it's OT on a DIY-EFI list. I'll listen.)

Glad your back from China safe.

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf
Of David Allen
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 5:53 PM
To: GM-ECM; JY-Turbo List; a-body list
Subject: [Gmecm] OT - My 1972 Chevy Nova - almost dead... :(

This is a rant / venting / cautionary tale.

I've had a 72 Chevy Nova coupe that's been in our family for years. belonged

to my aunt when it was new, in fact.

I've done various upgrades, such as replace the 307 engine with a fuel
injected 305 back in the late 90's.  The interior was redone about 10 years
ago.  The car was very drivable and always got compliments. Bright orange
with a black vinyl top.  It was basically stock with a newer (but stock)
engine.

The roof rusted out because of a water under the vinyl top.  The car ended
up needing the roof replaced.  This is a big job so I wanted to take it to a

professional for this. A friend had just got a 65 Mustang done and it looked

AWESOME.  We took my Nova and my friend's vintage Oldsmobile to this guy.

This was about 3 months before I went to China. I asked about the car and
was told "working on it" or "waiting for parts" and given excuses.

I spent 6 months overseas and just now went to check on the car.  I was
horrified.  My Nova, and my friend's Olds were out in the weather. The Olds
has the doors open weeds growing in the interior.

My Nova has irreparable sandblasting damage to ALL the exterior glass.
Windsheild is broken. Rear window replaced with plywood. No new roof
anywhere in sight. The interior is full of leaves, pine straw, there were
CATS LIVING IN THE CAR!!! The interior is wet and moldy.  The rear seat area

full of rotting cardboard boxes.

The trim for the windows is in the trunk, bent and scratched. The trunk full

of water. The speakers stolen, battery stolen and replaced with a
non-functional one.

Many interior parts are missing. I'm sure more than I realize now, too.

So I went from a rusted-out roof, to a trashed car.

On the bright side, when I put in a good battery the 305 TBI engine started
without any complaints and the air conditioner is still cold.

It's going to be a long road to repairing this and I SURE wish I had not put

my head in the sand and assumed everything was OK. I got burned because I
trusted this guy like I expect to be trusted myself.

Sincerely,
David

-----
No virus found in this message.