[Gmecm] OT - My 1972 Chevy Nova - almost dead... :(

Jay Vessels jay
Mon Jul 25 02:09:27 UTC 2011

Hi there!

> It's going to be a long road to repairing this and I SURE wish I had not put
> my head in the sand and assumed everything was OK. I got burned because I
> trusted this guy like I expect to be trusted myself.

Sorry to hear about this.  I'm guessing that getting anything from this
guy's going to be like getting blood from a turnip.  If it's still a
going business (and not just someone working from home), you might be
able to get something from him or his liability insurance, but that's a
conversation to have with an attorney.

The only good news out of this, if there is any, is that Nova parts are
at least available in the aftermarket.  Not that you wanted to replace
those parts, but at least it's a choice.

Oh, one other good thing.  Ifn's you don't already have a nice MIG
welder, with a pending roof repair job, now you have an excuse to get
one :)

Or, assuming this is just the top skin and not the underlying structure,
just glue it in place.  I'm not kidding.  SEM, among others, makes a
series of two-part adhesives that are used to install body panels.  It
requires a special applicator gun to use.  The glue kits are about
$30-$40 in my area, and the gun was $50 or so.  The glue comes in
different strengths and hardnesses depending on what's being installed.
  The OEMs are using it now instead of welding, and are requiring it be
used for replacement parts to keep the corrosion warranty intact.  For
instance, using the glue to install a door skin means no spot welding,
no welding dimples to fix before refinish, and no burn-through that can
later rust.

I've used it on rocker panels, cab corners, and a door skin on my S-10
and it does seem to work.  It's held since 2007.  Oddly, I bought the
stuff since I didn't have a MIG welder, didn't know how to use one, and
the glue route was cheaper.  I've since bought a Miller Millermatic 175
anyway... :)  However, I think I'd still use the glue vs. welding just
to dodge the burn-through rust problem.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
2006 Pontiac Solstice