[Gmecm] carb to tbi conversion

Jay Vessels jay
Wed Jun 8 01:46:02 UTC 2011

Hi there!

> What should I get for this prom, I have understood that the number
> 16139566 (XXXX) but know the last 4 letters for the correct
> application?

16139566 appears to be ASDU.

. As for calpack "I can use the number 16051637 or 16060836,
> what is the difference between these? Is there any diagram for these
> calpack.) Where I can buy? "I can use as detonation module number
> 3854521 or the number 16128261? thanks

I don't have any information on the calpaks or knock modules.

My first shot at buying any of these, since you have GM part numbers, is
a GM dealer.  Beyond that I'd try eBay, or maybe see if Craig Moates has
anything.

If you find a 350 TBI (1227747) engine that still has its ECM and knock
sensor/filter, just grab the knock module, calpak, and sensor from that.
  That chip is from 1989, if it helps.  I don't think I would worry too
much about it but having them all match from a single donor vehicle is
probably the easiest.

That said, if you have the ECM with that chip, and it also came with a
calapk, just use it.

Here's the good news -- if you get the knock sensor wrong, it will still
start and run but it may either be insensitive to knock, or be a bit too
sensitive to it.  Neither is a catastrophe.  The knock sensor in this
system is more of a fail-safe system for bad fuel rather than a critical
part of making it run properly.  The stock ECM tuning is not so
aggressive that it needs the knock sensor to run properly.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
2006 Pontiac Solstice