[Gmecm] ALDL for Android?

Jay Vessels jay
Wed Mar 9 01:01:33 UTC 2011

Hi there!

> Agreed. Im interested in this too, and this seems to be the hardest part
> part of the problem. The fact we need 8192 baud does not help either.
> Its surprising the elm chips cant do it, but I guess they were not built
> for that purpose.

Assuming (!) the Android device (phone, tablet, whatever) has a USB host
port, *and* you can add a driver for it that will enumerate a specific
USB device, one may be able to homebrew an ALDL adapter.  Various micros
(i.e. PIC) implement a USB device port, and a serial port, so a custom
bridge that speaks the right bitrate over serial (and possibly knows a
bit of the protocol) shouldn't be too bad.

Anyone have any Atmel or PIC micro stuff laying around that talks 8192
or 160bps ALDL?

> Im considering this also. Im wondering if the best interface would be a
> 12v wireless AP, one that runs linux that we can get into, and which has
> an on board serial port that supports 8192baud which can be adapted to
> talk aldl.

Sounds complex but may be the easiest to implement because it uses
off-the-shelf hardware rather than homebrew hardware.

This screams for a dev. board of some small micro.  Beagle Board comes
to mind but I don't have one so I don't know if it has everything one
would need.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
2006 Pontiac Solstice