[Gmecm] ALDL for Android?

Ant ant
Tue Mar 8 04:20:30 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 12:37 -0500, Jay Vessels wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I've seen OBD-II apps but nothing for older.
>
> The interesting challenge will be the interface.  The OBD-II apps use a
> Bluetooth dongle for interfacing with the PCM.  I'm not sure what to use
> for an older PCM or ECM.

Agreed. Im interested in this too, and this seems to be the hardest part
part of the problem. The fact we need 8192 baud does not help either.
Its surprising the elm chips cant do it, but I guess they were not built
for that purpose.

> For OBD-II, the app that shows up in my searches is Torque, and
> apparently likes the scantool.net Bluetooth adapter.

Ive used this, and it worked ok, although the logging/playback was not
ideal. It looks like there is an open source web interface to play the
logs back, and you can get the app to send the logs to your own server,
but there was no native android or pc app to do it. Since you can get
the data in to your own database, at least its possible. Shame it doesnt
do it out of the book. Apologies if this has changed since I last tried
it.

> I suppose one could write an Android app. for older GMECMs, using the
> USN port and a serial adapter (probably homebrew, I doubt a simple
> serial port USB adapter would work unless the Android device has a USB
> host port) but I have never developed an Android app so I don't know
> what's involved or what kind of hardware access is available to the apps.

Im considering this also. Im wondering if the best interface would be a
12v wireless AP, one that runs linux that we can get into, and which has
an on board serial port that supports 8192baud which can be adapted to
talk aldl. Then we could stash the whole unit under the dashboard, and
connect the phone via wifi (with security if desired) and then the app
could make a tcp socket connection to the AP, which can tunnel the ALDL
data between the ecu and wifi. And/or the app could be written to
translate between OBD1.5 and OBD2 on the fly, which would mean any
existing app that could talk via a tcp socket (or which the author could
be convinced to add support for tcp comms) could be used as the phone
side application.

Antus
www.delcohacking.net