[Gmecm] Help me get my LT1 a new sticker

Eck, Joel Joel.Eck
Wed Sep 14 18:42:19 UTC 2011

Yeah, they're being really cool with it. Shop over by my house (Houston area) wouldn't let me leave it running while waiting. They wanted at least 15 minutes of cool-down time before running it on the dyno.

Got any numbers to share? That might help with the suggestions... good to know if we're looking to reduce NOx, HC, CO, etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf Of Ron Gregory
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:56 PM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: [Gmecm] Help me get my LT1 a new sticker

My son has a '95 Firebird that needs to pass the Texas IM240 dyno testing.
The vehicle is run on a dyno at 15 mph and 25 mph while sniffing the
tailpipe.  The car has long-tube headers, no EGR, no air pump, 160-degree
thermostat, and an empty cat-con.

Last August, I played with the tune a bit, but couldn't get the car to pass
without installing a new cat-con *and* a special tune. This year, I'd like
to try [with your help] to pass with an empty cat-con.

The TunerCAT .bin and .txt dump files of the tune that finally worked last
year are here:

    http://oldpizza.net/formula/2010_08_25_austin_firebird_emissions_5.bin
    http://oldpizza.net/formula/2010_08_25_austin_firebird_emissions_5.txt

I had to mess with the timing, injector constant, and finally the shift
tables, so it would stay in 1st gear for the 15 mph reading and 2nd for the
25 mph reading.

The shop is really cool about it. They will actually let us install another
PCM before we put it on the dyno, so we won't have to actually drive highway
speeds with this tune.

Any ideas on how to cut emissions down enough to pass "the test"?
Do I have a snowball's chance in August of passing without a cat-con?

I know where I can get some E85.  Would that help?

Ron