[Gmecm] Choosing ECM?

Avery Nisbet anisbet
Fri Sep 16 22:46:47 UTC 2011

Code 59 is a hacked up version of GM ECU code/firmware.  There is a
group of people working on it at http://www.code59.org  Go check it
out.

The code59 program Uses a 3bar map sensor by default. Thats ~300kPa.
The software originally came form the Buick grand national. Do a
youtube search for that car.  It was a turbo car thats way it had the
300kPa sensor.  If you want to use a 1bar sensor(Im guessing its an NA
engine) you can. I would not put a voltage divider on it.  The ECU
typically does a pretty good job without it.   The problem is with a
loopy cam the changes in pressure are very high between intake valve
open and close at idle.  I think most people fix the problem with
plumbing and not electronics.  Or they ignore MAP at idle.

The code59 program also take all the sensors you are wishing to add
into account for tuning(Intake air temp, coolent temp, TPS and more).
If you want to run LowZ injectors you can change out the injector
drivers in the ECU or you can use a driver board ment for megasquirt.
Lots of people like this one
http://www.jbperf.com/p&h_board/index.html

Also if you have trouble sourcing a US ECM  in europe(I guess your in
europe because you used KPa and not bar) you can check out this site
for info on the euro and aus ECM's.
http://www.delcohacking.net/forums/
They focus on the European and Australian model ECMs  I would just
hunt around on there for one that can run code59 or some similar
software.
The 808 ECM is very popular on that site and may be easy to find
outside the US.  The 7727 and 7730 and its replacements are probably
the most common in Junkyards in the US right now.  GM made a lot of
FWD V6 cars in the 90's.  These can run the code 59 program but they
have high Z injectors drivers. The 7749 which is hard to find, was
used in Turboed cars(buick GN and pontiac turbo sunbird). It has peak
and hold or lowZ injector drivers.

-Avery