[Gmecm] [Diy_efi] direct injection

Phillip Kuhn pmkls1
Wed Sep 28 03:32:24 UTC 2011

???? Just an fyi before I type my reply, I sent that last e-mail out last thursday and it just went through. For some reason my emails sent to the list are taking forever to get through.
?
???? David, I believe that you are correct in your assumption because I am sure that the engineers are trying to get the engines to run on as lean a mixture as possible. To jump slightly off topic for a second .?The very unrealistic demands regarding auto manufacturers increasing their CAFE ratings is placing a large strain on the auto makers, more specifically the engineers. They are resorting to unconventional means and pushing limits to try to squeeze every last mpg out of every car that they can.? Right now a decent portion of driveability complaints that we see are actually considered "normal operation". The root cause of those complaints is how the ecm and tcm are programmed to operate, which of course are aimed at improving fuel economy. Having said that, I am sure that the DI engines are running pretty lean.
?
???? Milano Guy, I'm not sure if there is any available information that I haven't disclosed. If you have any specific questions I can do my best to answer. Honestly, we have had very little DI specific issues to date so I don't know much past the layout and operation of the systems. I forgot that the only 2 injectors that we have replaced at my shop were not the problem with the respective vehicles either and were just replaced as a shot in the dark. The only actual fuel system issues we have seen from the DI systems was the high pressure pump leaking fuel into the crankcase and causing the vehicle to set rich codes. This was on the 2.4 Ecotec engines only. The only other issues would be due to the DI, but not actually the DI itself. There have been issues with the 3.6 v6 engines developing excessive carbon deposits on the intake valves and actually causing the valves to stick at low RPM's resulting in intermittent misfires.? That issue is common
 enough nationwide to result in a bulletin being released, but overall is still rare and can be at least partially attributed to the maintenance and driving habits of the owners. Other than that and some updated calibrations the systems in the GM vehicles seem to be operating well. One complaint that we see a lot would be the ticking noise you can hear from the pump and injectors which is absolutely normal. There is a significant amount of noise dampening material used around the pump and injectors and you can still easily hear the ticking, especially when the engine is cold. This is of course due to the pressures the system operates at along with the way that the pump operates in respect to the commanded fuel pressure. Which, again, this is completely normal, but for those unfamiliar with DI vehicles it "seems" like an engine problem that causes them to believe that the engine has an issue. Glad that I can contribute to the list for a change. And did
 everyone get the e-mail that I sent out with links to the photos I took of some DI components ?
?
Phil

________________________________
From: David Allen <davida1 at hiwaay.net>
To: Phillip Kuhn <pmkls1 at yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] direct injection

Interesting information, and it does make
sense.
?
Our natural gas engines have a system where an
enriched fuel/air mix is held near the spark plug and less rich in the remainder
of the chamber. It allows for cleanly and completely burning mixtures that would
otherwise be too lean to ignite of the mixture was completely
blended.
?
I bet GM is doing the same thing by the placement
of the fuel spray and the shape of the chamber.
?
David