[Gmecm] TBI for 455 Olds

barry hanas barryhanas
Thu Jan 24 15:44:20 UTC 2013

---- Original Message ----
From: Wade <wades at mountainmanmotors.com>
To: Gmecm <Gmecm at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Thu, Jan 24, 2013 10:21 am
Subject: [Gmecm] TBI for 455 Olds

Greetings all.  I have a few general questions for the group:

I have a 455 (a 1976 model year engine) and 700R trans (non-electronic speedo gear) installed in a 1946 Olds.

I want to install a TBI setup on this engine and was wondering what kinda Ignition (distributor) could I use ? it has an HEI (stock) on it now?

Also ? I?m thinking about using the computer programming from a 454 ? either an SS model or a pickup. Would I be within performance parameters (I just want a good driver ? no performance camshaft but with an aluminum intake).

And, finally, what would you all suggest as to the fuel pump to use?  I?ve converted other cars over to TBI but have always been able to use the distributor from the donor vehicle.  In the case of my 455 ? there are no donor TBI units that I am aware of.

 What are the thoughts about my project?

Thanks.  Wade.

Hi , I have a 455 olds here and here is what was used this has not been on the road yet.
Distributer is 84 old 307 no vac. + pc. of plug
wireing 87 gmc van 350 7747 (AMUR)
454 tbi  with homemade plate be careful with gasket very thin at intake area may need extra gaskets.
I ran a ford inline pump off a  older year van ( maybe to much pres.) have a aftermarket now pres. not sure of.
Have a 700r4 also that was the reason I chose the wireing and cpu from the van still speedo cable.

0