[Gmecm] TBI for 455 Olds

Eck, Joel Joel.Eck
Fri Jan 25 15:56:47 UTC 2013

Try this for more info: https://www.google.com/search?q=4-pin-to-7-pin-hei-conversion

Basically, you have three simple and cheap options:

You can convert to an OEM-like Olds HEI with computer control using the internal 7-pin ignition module,
you could extend the pickup coil wires on your existing Olds HEI to connect to a later model, small cap HEI, 8-pin module
or you could use an OEM computer controlled Olds Distributor. This could come from one of the 80+ Cutlasses that came with a Computer controlled Carb on an Olds V8 or one of the 455 RV engines with computer controls.

In fact, here?s one on ebay right now for $18 + shipping. Given the way it looks, I?d clean it up before installing it, but it?s a computer controlled Olds HEI: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-Distributor-1103602-4J7-/121054705049?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2f6c3599&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1   (I am not the guy selling it, and I don?t know the guy, so I hope that doesn?t violate any rules of the list. Just trying to help out.)

There are other routes you could take as well, increasing in complexity and cost.

From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf Of Wade
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 17:30
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] TBI for 455 Olds

Exactly right about the scarcity of the 500 Caddy engines.  I have two ? one is completely rebuilt with some performance goodies sitting in our 41 Buick and the other is a core.  Our 455 Olds is in a 1946 Olds custom.

I would like to find out more about which distributor to use for the TBI.  I am looking at the link for converting my current HEI in the OLDs to a distributor that will work for the TBI?

I know that I can do this ? there must be a way.  Short of having a special one built.  The small diameter distributors that the TBI would use for GM has the guts?  I have a number of those lying about.

Thanks to everyone.