[Gmecm] OT - alternative refrigerant test... HFC152A

Robert Saar robertisaar
Mon May 13 02:09:46 UTC 2013

i have 4 V5 compressors and all of them died that way... they hold a charge for about 3 days, but you can see it slowly bubble out of the case halves... luckily, someone on the 60V6 boards did a nice writeup on how to take apart, inspect and reseal them. i think parts came out to between 20 and 30, which is a lot better than the 100+ core that local stores want or risking a junkyard unit.

--- On Sun, 5/12/13, Jay Vessels <jay at vessels-clan.com> wrote:

From: Jay Vessels <jay at vessels-clan.com>
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] OT - alternative refrigerant test... HFC152A
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Date: Sunday, May 12, 2013, 9:30 PM

Hi there!

One other thing -- I was always told that on CCOT A/C systems (almost
all GM in the 1980s) to put the gas in with the can inverted.? I don't
know if that's specific to the R12 cans or not, but I noticed you didn't
seem to bother with that.

Given that the industry is moving to HFC152a, assuming there's no really
goofy issues with a conversion that we don't yet know about, I suspect
we'll start seeing kits to do this.

Aside -- Robert, my mother's '96 Lumina (3100 V6) seems to have killed
its compressor in the same way that you describe...

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2007 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean, 3.0R