[Gmecm] OT - alternative refrigerant test... HFC152A

David Allen davida1
Mon May 13 13:00:13 UTC 2013

Good morning! Thanks for the interest in this. My replies are below, all messages combined into one.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jay Vessels" <jay at vessels-clan.com>
To: <gmecm at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] OT - alternative refrigerant test... HFC152A

----
> Did you add any oil to the system, and if you did, what kind?

Hi Jay - yes it's good to charge LIQUID into the CCOT system. The charge should go into the accumulator and fill it with liquid.

Insise the accumulator there is an oil-metering orifice. This orifice is supposed to meter a "mist" of oil and liquid refrigerant to the compressor return.

The level of liquid in the accumulator needs to be high enough so that oil metering orifice can work. If you start with an empty system (only oil in the accumulator and compressor), the compressor is running dry during gas charging. It won't get any oil return until the system is almost completely charged and the refrigerant is making it all the way 'round back to the compressor.

As for the oil - the system was previously converted to R134A.  The R152A is compatible with the same oils as R134A. The system has an HR6 compressor. This one needs 8 fluid ounces of 100 or 150 viscosity oil. Mostly I use PAG oils.