[Wbo2] Using the Bosch WB sensor with L1H1 circuit board

James Holland J_Holland
Sat Nov 12 18:44:57 UTC 2005

I tried to post this yesterday but hit reply instead of reply all, I
apologise to Allen if it seemed like I was having a go at him but I did want
to raise a few points,  I don't want to get into the who did what or when.

I am interested in what tests were performed to verify accuracy. I am
curious as to the effects of variations in exhaust temperature and the
effect of backpressure too. The Bosch datasheet shows that these do have an
influence but never having made any backpressure measurements (or EGT) I
can't really equate those values to real world cases.

These were my comments on environmental testing, I think some of the points
have been answered:

I design electronics for military applications so I do appreciate designing
to meet temperature ranges and designing to meet environmental requirements.
Environmental testing is a good thing in terms of design proving but very
expensive and needs a clearly defined set of requirements. What level of
testing do you think should be carried out? Proper selection of components
will allow you to meet the required temperature spec BUT what spec do you
really need? If the unit is going to be inside the vehicle then a commercial
temperature range is probably more than adequate, how many of us are going
to be out tuning our vehicles when its 40C below. None of the Mitsubishi
ECUs that I have seen have been conformally coated, they are clearly
designed to be used inside the vehicle where its dry and indeed they are
mounted up under the dashboard. Vibration testing is to some extent
irrelevant, if you sell something as a kit you can't control the build
quality.
High specs and thorough testing costs money, there has to be a balance
between cost and performance. What I want is the cheapest possible piece of
kit that will do what I want it to do.
This wasn't intended to be a long winded rant but I think there are some
good points here that everyone should consider when they are building their
WB kit, wherever they get their design from.

Cheers
James