Project update (long)

John S Gwynne jsg
Fri Sep 2 03:44:54 GMT 1994

--------

   In message <9409010858.ZM1446 at montreal> , you write:

| > - I need a ``smart'' power supply for use in the car.....
|
| What is a smart power supply?  Inquiring power supply engineers want to know.

Did I hear VOLUNTEER ?????

Smart huh.... how about a "real" supply.

I'm not prepared to make specifications yet, but... here's what I had in
mind.

- +5VDC +/-5% at 2A max continuous (0mA min)
- +/-15VDC +/- 10% at 0.5A
- input 8-16VDC w/the spikes and dropouts associated with the starter running.
- industrial temperature range (no internal ventilation; i.e., no external air
vented into the case)
- short circuit protected
- power on diagnostics that will not turn-on the outputs unless voltages are
within tolerance. (what can we do to prevent damage to the rest of the
circuit in the event of a supply failure?)
- notify cpu of "power off" condition (see next item).
- supply power for say 0.1 sec after input power is removed.
- shutdown command from cpu.
- LED indicators for +5VDC, +15VDC, -15VDC, and input power.
- power-on lamp test function for the above.
- external voltage (load voltage) sensing
- must be able to reverse the polarity of the input supply without damage.
- turn-on to output voltages within tolerance delay of less than 0.3 sec.

Comments?

I'm not real concern with efficiency (the car has a 140A alt. :) ) or the
technology used... I just want it to work and last... I'm tired of
buying after-market crap that doesn't work...

                                       John S Gwynne
                                          Gwynne.1 at osu.edu