Engine dyno for EFI reqs 450-500hp

DAVE MORRILL HPL DESIGN ENG 207-775-8574 dmorrill%spf.dnet at gpo.nsc.com
Tue Aug 8 13:13:49 GMT 1995

All,
	Great comments on engine dyno's, much thanks!
Many asked what our requirements are.

-Target HP for the engine we are building is 400HP (turbo, Efi ~114 oct gas,
	ESC.)
-Engine is for a drag car, however, typically we are only able to get
	3-4 passes in before racing starts, this does not provide as much
	of an opportunity for tuning the engine as I'm sure we will initially
	need as we bring an EFI system online from the ground up.
-Would like to be able to do static RPM as well as transient testing.
-From your comments it seems a water brake may be the best way to go, however
        the transmission torque converter idea seems interesting as well???
        Can they absorb the power/heat reliably?

Can anyone recommend some reading for dyno testing strategies (I'm not familiar
with the motoring technique that Robert Dingli mentioned)?  Books, SAE papers,
articles, etc...  So far I've been unable to find any significant text on this
topic, I will be contacting the dyno mfgs that Jeff and Anthony Tsakiris
mentioned ASAP.

Thanks and Best Regards,
			Dave.