Ford EEC-IV

Bohdan L Bodnar bohdan at uscbu.ih.att.com
Tue Feb 28 20:42:34 GMT 1995

I don't know who makes the "best software" (whatever that means) or the "best
hardware" (again, whatever that means).  My experience is mostly in diagnosing
problems in stock cars.  From this perspective, Ford's KOER diagnostic is
superior to anything GM or Chrysler have.  My former auto mechanics instructor
(ASE Master Mechanic) is convinced that GM doesn't know how to build reliable
computers.   Personally, I'm impressed that my 1986 Le Baron has enough
"intelligence" in the diagnostics to determine whether a MAP sensor fault is
electrical or pneumatic and can figure out whether there's too much resistance
in a fuel injector's circuit (code 26 for those of you with Chrysler
products) -- all this within a few hundred milliseconds of cranking the
engine.

So, here you have a bunch of "data points."  I think that "best" is subjective
and will probably become even more subjective as processor power increases.
On the latter topic, does anyone here have any (public domain) information on
GM's GEN V computer?  I'm interested mostly in the machine's organization.

Regards,

Bohdan Bodnar