aldl to pc

David Cooley cooldave at nando.net
Tue Jan 17 12:52:32 GMT 1995

On Mon, 16 Jan 1995 Steve=Ravet%Prj=Eng%PCPD=Hou at bangate.compaq.com wrote:

> furgason at hg.uleth.ca Wrote:
> |

> | I just got off the phone with the guys at GM . This is an SAE reference
> | for the new data stream standard .... SAE J1850. I haven't got it yet
> | so I don't know if it fits the bill. I do have the ALDL stuff for 1989 and
> | I can share it on a limited basis. Opps Above it should read
> | "There is an SAE".......
>
> SAE J1850 is a hardware specification for a single or double wire automotive
> bus.  It is a part of OBD-II (On Board Diagnostics).  J1850 specifies how
> information packets are placed on the wire, but I don't think it specifies
> what is in the packets.  But OBD does, and it will be here soon.
>
> I would be *very* interested in the ALDL stuff from '89, if it is the fast
> data rate stuff and not the slow.  Is it proprietary?  And if so, how did you
> get ahold of it?
>

> | I promised some info to a few people, I will make good on that
> | shortly
> |
> | Dan Furgason
> |

> --steve

  SAE handbook HS-3000 has all the papers relating to OBD_II including SAE
J2201, Universal interface for OBD_II scan tool.
I am currently working with an engineer from Chrysler and one from Harris
semiconductor on designing and marketing a OBD_II scan tool.
Chrysler has had a CCD bus for 5 or 6 years now... It has been 99.9%
OBD_II the whole time.  Now all manufacturers have to use one of 3
variants of this standard for communications. All messages and commands
will be standard (J1850 & 2178) the connector will be the same (J1962)
Finally, one interface will support all cars.. No swapping cartridges etc.
Later,
Dave