Throttle Plate Control

Jens Knickmeyer knick at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Mon May 8 10:47:30 GMT 1995

<Jack Mott> wrote:

> Do all commercial vehicles have the throttle plate directly connected do
> the accelerator pedal?  (I would think reasons of safety might mandate
> this.)  Are there any "fly-by-wire" systems with the throttle valve under
> computer control?  Would there be any advantages to doing this?
>
> Charles Mott

Mercedes Benz and (I think) BMW use such an "acceerate by wire" system.
Advantage is that it makes tempomat cruising easier. Due to a book on
car tuning, the disadvantage is that tuning such an electronic throttle
system is not easy to tune up.

Jens.
           Jens Knickmeyer
Technische Universitaet Braunschweig