Northstar coolant loss

David Cooley cooldave at nando.net
Wed May 17 16:06:57 GMT 1995

>Running an engine without coolant is a remarkable achievement,
>no doubt.  Being in the same business, I can imagine the
>details involved in shutting down multiple cylinders.  As a
>means of managing a failure mode, it's fabulous.  Please don't
>interpret the following as a Ford guy diminishing the
>achievements of GM.  I commend GM for taking the lead, but ...
>
>I can't help but wonder though why the auto industry is so
>often willing to spend money for after-the-fact fixes instead
>of up-front design.  I don't want the coolant in my engine to
>leak out in the first place.

I'm sure this addressed first.. If it wasn't and they wanted to make money
from service, this "safety factor" wouldn't have been included.
I am sure this is for the "I never change my oil/coolant/transfluid/rear
axle fluid lazy ignorant worst case car owner".  99% of the owners will
never have to take advantage of this feature... But, if 75,000 miles down
the road, a radiator hose bursts 100 miles from civilization... I'd rather
be in that cadillac than a ford that will burn up in a few miles  ;-)
Later,
Dave
David Cooley                                            (919) 319-2734 Office
cooldave at nando.net                                      (919) 319-2896 FAX