Northstar coolant loss

tsakiris at ed8200.ped.pto.ford.com tsakiris at ed8200.ped.pto.ford.com
Wed May 17 17:21:45 GMT 1995

>>Running an engine without coolant is a remarkable achievement,
>>no doubt.  Being in the same business, I can imagine the
>>details involved in shutting down multiple cylinders.  As a
>>means of managing a failure mode, it's fabulous.  Please don't
>>interpret the following as a Ford guy diminishing the
>>achievements of GM.  I commend GM for taking the lead, but ...
>>
>>I can't help but wonder though why the auto industry is so
>>often willing to spend money for after-the-fact fixes instead
>>of up-front design.  I don't want the coolant in my engine to
>>leak out in the first place.

>I'm sure this addressed first.. If it wasn't and they wanted to make money
>from service, this "safety factor" wouldn't have been included.
>I am sure this is for the "I never change my oil/coolant/transfluid/rear
>axle fluid lazy ignorant worst case car owner".  99% of the owners will
>never have to take advantage of this feature... But, if 75,000 miles down
>the road, a radiator hose bursts 100 miles from civilization... I'd rather
>be in that cadillac than a ford that will burn up in a few miles  ;-)
>Later,
>Dave

But I'd prefer it even more if radiator hoses which didn't burst at 75,000
miles were used.

To bring this back to a DYI EFI discussion, it's possible to correct or
protect for a wide variety of deficiencies with computers.  Those of you
building your own controllers realize you could keep building and adding
features forever.  Is it the most efficient way to solve a problem though?
With software and computer hardware?  If the manufacturer knows that
customers don't follow maintenance schedules, the design requirements for
their products should change.  Perhaps that should include engine
hardware in addition to computer hardware and software.

The auto industry lags far behind other industries in applying a systems
design approach.  That needs to change, quickly, if externally imposed
goals for emissions, fuel efficiency, and time-to-market are to be met.

---
Anthony Tsakiris

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.