DIY_EFI abilities and older engines

Peter Wales pjwales at magicnet.net
Wed Nov 22 14:20:02 GMT 1995

>At 06:06 PM 11/21/95 -0500, you wrote:
>>By the way, is there anyone out there who can relate to me some words of
>>wisdom on going about this project? Any suggestions on a good EFI computer
>>that's rather inexpensive but easy to use?  I need something to prove out my
>>hardware.
>
>I think you have a great project in the works, but as far as an inexpensive
>computer, I haven't been able to find one yet... at least a good progammable
>one for cheap (that's why I read this list... I am waiting for one of you
>wizbangs to come up with one).

Why don't you use an existing EFI computer from a GM vehicle? The ignition
timing requirements are going to be very similar and you will need to get
the right size injectors for the new engine so the stock program from a 350
engine would probably be enough to test the hardware. You will need to put
in the same sensors as the GM engine but you will need these sensors for
your own EFI system anyway. The computer should not cost more than a few
bucks from a junk yard and you should be able to pick up the correct sensors
while you at it from the same source.

If you then want to reprogram it to change the timing and fuelling, it is a
comparatively simple thing to do. The beauty of this scheme is that all of
the electronic hardware is proven to work in the harsh automotive
environment so you only have one set of problems to solve instead of several.

Peter Wales
President Superchips Inc
Chairman Superchips Ltd        "Timing is everything"