Re(2): Q: dual ended ignition coil

ARTHUR OKUN arthurok at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 23 08:22:21 GMT 1995

You wrote:

>> use a standard coil and make a Y splitter using some some glass
epoxy
>> board and some sutible studs and  insulate the thing with silicon
>> rubber    all the dual coil is in my estimation is an standard hei
coil
>> with two outputs in parellel    " there's a schematic in my buicks
>> chilton"
>>
>... apologies if I am misunderstanding something, but the suggested
solu-
>tion does not solve the problem as elegantly as the ungrounded coil.
With
>the dual wire coil the spark plugs are in series, meaning that both
must
>fire.  Using a Y approach places the plugs in parallel, which does not

>guarantee that both fire.  You might be able to work something by
isolating
>the ground on a standard coil, but having the case of the coil at some

>potential other than ground would probably lead to a lot of EMI
problems ...

>Steve Buchholz
>s_buchho at kla.com
>San Jose, CA (USA)

you are actually right but with resistor wires it might work but not as
well as an floating secondary  coil as gm uses i rechecked my chilton
and i was in error  ; the gm coil is availible from jc whitney for
29.60 dollars plus shipping and can be connected with a pair of 1/4 "
male push in terminals for the primary after rechecking the chilton
gm does not reverse the polarity for opposite plugs

i wonder how inportant that is?